Closing of Sellers Eskom Account
- Where electricity is supplied directly by Eskom, sellers need to finalise and close their account.
- On the day on which the seller vacates the property, he must phone Eskom (0860037566) or visit the nearest Eskom branch and request a “Move out request” with the final reading, schedule a date and obtain a reference number. (Use a digital camera that will allow a date stamp and ensure that the readings and serial numbers are clear)
- This is to be followed up with an email to Eskom using the reference number and providing the following details: The property description, a copy of the seller’s ID and A letter from the transferring attorneys confirming date of registration.
- A final reading is then provided by either Eskom or the Seller and once processed.
- Eskom will stop electricity service supply from the date of moving out and closing of the account.
- The final bill will indicate the refund amount.
- Eskom normally deduct the last invoice from the deposit held and refund the balance.
- A refund can then be applied for using the Eskom refund form that is bank stamped- the refund is usually processed in approximately 8 weeks.
- Eskom refunds can only be paid into a bank account of the same name as the Eskom account holder.
Opening of Purchaser’s Eskom Account
- Purchasers are required to open a new account with Eskom for electricity supply.
- Purchasers can either phone the national Call Centre number (0860037566) to open this account (voice contract) and arrange to effect payment of the required deposit, or they can visit their nearest Eskom Service Centre.
- The following documents are required:
• ID Copies;
• A letter from the transferring attorneys confirming date of registration;
• Cash (calculated at the time) for payment of deposit (The refundable deposit can range between R3500.00 to R12 500.00)
• Meter numbers and meter readings as at date of occupation preferably a date stamped Electricity meter photos (Use a digital camera that will allow a date stamp and ensure that the reading and serial are clear)
• Electrical Compliance Certificate